Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

The Fog

I had my first experience of a midday fog today. Being from Brisbane, we have the odd fog of a morning which rapidly clears as the sun rises higher in the sky. Today in Vancouver was a little different. I headed to the bus stop from my apartment in an unseasonably (but very welcome) bright, clear and sunny day. I think it may have even hit 7 degrees Celsius! Walking down Dunbar (the main street near where I now live), I could clearly see the mountains, but there was a thick layer of fog over the inlet at their base. Wishing I had my camera, I thought this looked pretty cool.

It then literally started to cool. Turning around and look up the street, the sun had begun to darken, as this sea of fog came rolling down the street, engulfing all light, happiness and warmth in its path. Seriously. Gone was the bright sunny day, vanquished by the irrepressible fog.

I felt like I was in the middle of a Stephen King story - the "Strawberry Spring" short story from "Night Shift" to be exact. This was only heightened on the bus ride, upon looking down the fog-filled paths lined with leaf-less trees in the forest around UBC. Spooky, but cool at the same time. I almost got off the bus early to walk through the forest.

Who knows what might have happened...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?